“Not Exactly Tuna” Salad Recipe
Summer is a great time to turn up the fresh fruit!
“Fruit in this, fruit in that, and fruit everywhere” is an excellent motto to live by in the summer months! After all, soak up the nutrients while the fruit is the freshest it’ll be all year round.
This “Not Exactly Tuna Salad” recipe is a great salad to bring to any summer BBQ’s or pot-lucks, and it combines the sweetness of fruit with the creaminess of beans!
It’s easy to make, healthy, and puts a fun and unique twist on an old crowd favorite.
Oh, and here’s the kicker… there isn’t actually any tuna in this salad! Are you intrigued now? Check it out!
NOT EXACTLY TUNA SALAD RECIPE
- 3 c cooked garbanzo beans (chickpeas)
- 2 T vegan mayonnaise
- 1 T sweet pickle relish
- ¼ c celery, diced small
- ½ c grapes, diced, or ½ apple, diced
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Mash garbanzo beans leaving a bit of texture.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Serve over a bed of greens.
- If you’re looking to add an extra pop of protein, try adding in some salmon!
- Not a fan of relish? Try subbing it out for dill sauerkraut instead! (Plus, sauerkraut is great for the gut!)
- Play around with green or purple grapes! Or get really crazy, and add both!
GARBANZO BEANS FOR A SALAD
Chickpeas, also knowns as garbanzo beans, offer many benefits and are easy to add into any meal or salad you’re making!
Let’s take a glance at the awesome health benefits chickpeas offer…
They are full of vitamin K, which aids in strong bones!
Chickpeas have a high fiber content, potassium, vitamin B-6, and vitamin C, which are all good for your heart health.
They are a great source of carbohydrates, protein, and fiber! Especially for vegetarians and vegans!
Due to their high fiber content, they may be beneficial in lowering blood glucose levels.
ENJOY THIS HEALTHY SALAD
Whether you make this for an at-home snack or meal, or you take it to share at your neighborhood outing, this salad will not let you down!
It’s refreshing, light, and a healthy alternative to unhealthy BBQ sides.
Give the recipe a try and see what you think! Let us know in the comments if you’re a relish lover or a sauerkraut lover!