Superfood Apple Oatmeal Recipe
There’s nothing better than a warm bowl of fiber-rich oatmeal to start off a crisp winter day!
What’s even better?
Amping up your oatmeal to SUPERFOOD status with some chia seeds and apples!!
I love starting my day with a warm cup of oatmeal and even better, it’s an easy breakfast my entire family can enjoy! There are so many additions and substitutes to keep this healthy recipe fresh and delicious!
SUPERFOOD APPLE OATMEAL RECIPE
- ¼ c chia Seeds
- 4 c almond milk
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- ½ c rolled oats
- 3 apples (cored and diced)
- maple syrup or raw honey (to taste)
1. In a medium pot bring the chia seeds, cinnamon, almond milk, and oats to a boil.
2. Cook until the chia thickens the liquid, and the oats soften (about 2-3 minutes).
3. Stir in the apples.
4. Dish up and serve drizzled with maple or honey.
- Try steel-cut oats for a crunchier texture.
- Sub almond milk for any other nut milk preference.
- Throw some berries in for an added antioxidant boost.
- Hold the maple syrup/raw honey to avoid extra sugar.
- Add a scoop of nut butter for an extra kick of healthy fats.
- Up the protein content with some collagen peptides.
Here’s why you should be making oatmeal part of your breakfast menu!
Oatmeal is plump full of antioxidants! For the sake of time, we won’t list them all, but we will highlight an important one!
This powerful little guy may help to lower blood pressure increasing nitric oxide, and in turn, dilate blood vessel for improved blood flow.
It’s also known for its anti-inflammatory and anti-itching properties. Can you say “bonus”?
Let’s not forget about oatmeals sidekick, Beta-Glucan! A soluble fiber loved by all bodies and offers numerous benefits. A few including, helping to reduce cholesterol, aiding in a healthy, happy gut, and keeping you satiated.
Now it’s time to shift the spotlight to another powerhouse; chia seeds! These guys pack a powerful punch of nutrients with only a few calories.
They also provide even more oxidants (see why we called this recipe Superfood Apple Oatmeal?), contain beneficial fiber, even contain protein, and Omega-3 fatty acids. They really are the whole package!
As you probably already know, apples have an impressive profile also. A fun fact you may not know is that apples have been shown to reduce cellular death from inflammation in the neurons.
They may also help to ward off breast cancer, reduce the chance of stroke, help with minimizing bad cholesterol, and a host of other health benefits.
All in all, you can see why this oatmeal will set you up for a day of feeling amazing (Superstar status!) and keep you all around healthy.
Hungry for more? Try this other breakfast recipe, Jumpstart Your Day With This Green Smoothie!