Power Up Quinoa Salad Recipe
Attention all you busy Health Coaches! We know you’re busy running your business!
You have a million things to get done, and you need all the energy you can to accomplish all of your to-dos! Do you ever have that “how the heck am I ever going to get this all done” feeling? (Trust us, you’re not alone!)
Which is why we thought of you when we put together this salad! Let’s be honest, you need something quick, delicious, and something that will fill you to the top with energy, like the Energizer Bunny!
So, here you have it! (This will probably become your go-to meal, just a heads up!)
This salad is super easy to make! It’s packed with nutrients, it’s rich in fiber and protein, it’s easy peasy to digest, contains healthy fat, and helps sustain energy and blood sugar levels for hours!
Without further ado, we give you the Power Up Quinoa Salad!
POWER UP QUINOA SALAD
- 1 c uncooked quinoa
- 1½ c cold water
- 1 clove garlic (diced)
- ½ c chopped bell peppers
- ½ c cherry or grape tomatoes (sliced)
- ¼ c red onions (diced)
- ¼ c mushrooms
- ¼ c cucumber (diced)
- ¼ c almonds
- sea salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- Soak the quinoa for 15 minutes to loosen the outer coating of saponin and remove any bitter taste.
- Drain well
- Combine quinoa, garlic, and water in a pot and bring to a rapid boil.
- Cover with a tight fitting lid, reduce to a simmer and cook until the water is fully absorbed. This will take approximately 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow it to sit for 5 minutes with the lid on.
- Fluff quinoa gently with a fork and add peppers, tomatoes, onions, mushrooms, and cucumber.
- Top with almonds and sprinkle with salt and pepper! Enjoy!
- Drizzle with olive oil for a boost of healthy fats and a little extra flavor!
- Add any other veggies you fancy! Some of the best options include green beans, asparagus, and arugula!
- Throw some high-quality protein on to keep you full for even longer! We think salmon is the best choice!
- Top with avocado… because it’s avocado. Do we need to say more?
Fun Fact: 2013 was declared “The International Year of Quinoa” by the United Nations because of it’s contribution to worldwide food security and nutrient value!
We love quinoa so much because it tends to have a higher fiber content than most other grains, and because it’s gluten free! Yay!
Quinoa is also one of the highest protein containing plant-based foods, which makes it a great addition to vegan and meat eaters diets alike!
Naturally, quinoa is plump full of iron and magnesium (which is great for the immune system, digestive tract, bone, and heart health — can you say jackpot?!). However, quinoa also contains a substance called phytic acid, which can disrupt the absorption of these two powerhouse nutrients.
Fear not! You can degrade these phytic acids simply by soaking or sprouting your quinoa prior to crafting up this beautiful salad!
Hungry for more on-the-go recipes? Check out this Carefree Caprese Salad Recipe!