Healthy Grilled Shrimp And Avocado Kale Caesar Salad Recipe (Dairy-Free)
With the summer months in full swing, there’s nothing more satisfying than a crisp and refreshing Caesar salad, loaded with antioxidant-rich kale, creamy avocado, and freshly grilled shrimp.
This Caesar salad takes a fun and healthy twist on the heavier classic. Grilled shrimp is tossed with avocado, massaged and chopped kale, crisp lettuce, and a creamy dairy-free dressing that will keep you full, light, and beaming with energy all summer long!
HEALTHY GRILLED SHRIMP AND AVOCADO KALE CAESAR SALAD RECIPE (DAIRY-FREE)
DAIRY-FREE CAESAR DRESSING
- 1/2 pureed avocado
- 1/2 c Paleo or vegan mayonnaise
- 2 T chopped cilantro
- 1 T olive oil
- 2 t coconut aminos
- Squeeze of half lemon
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 t spicy brown mustard
- Sea salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 lbs large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Skewers (optional)
- 3 T olive oil
- 2 t garlic powder
- 2 t onion powder
- 2 t cumin
- Pepper and salt to taste
HEALTHY SALAD MIX
- 4 c of massaged kale
- 4 c of romaine lettuce
- 2 t olive oil
- Other half of avocado, diced
- 3/4 c pine nuts
- Black pepper to taste
- Prepare your shrimp first: whisk together all ingredients in a small bowl for the marinade, add your shrimp, and allow it to sit until you’re ready to grill.
- Build your dressing: puree your avocado, and then whisk all creamy ingredients together, add the seasonings and herbs last.
- Brush your grill (or cast-iron skillet) with olive oil and heat to medium/medium-high (adjust accordingly for your grill).
- Skewer your shrimp (optional), arrange shrimp on the grill, and cook until pink (about 2 minutes per side).
- In a large bowl, prepare the green base of your salad: massage your kale with olive oil and salt, and then add lettuce.
- Pour the dressing over the lettuce, and toss gently. Add your shrimp, pine nuts, diced avocado, and remaining spices on top.
- Serve it up and enjoy!
- Substitute the shrimp for salmon to enjoy a milder flavor and softer texture.
- Swap shrimp for chickpeas to make it vegan.
- Sprinkle some cayenne on your shrimp for a spicier flavor and metabolism boost.
- Toss with tomatoes for a little extra color and taste
If you want to transform your kale game without cooking or sautéing it, then you need to work in some massaging. I know it sounds weird, but I promise you, this will be a game-changer.
Massaging helps to break down the tough cell structure of the kale and gives it a softer texture and gentler flavor.
I like to remove the stems, add a few dashes of sea salt and olive oil, and get to work massaging and twisting the kale lightly until you notice the color darken, and the texture soften.
HEALTH BENEFITS OF SHRIMP
- Shrimp contains high levels of antioxidants and anti-inflammatory nutrients. These nutrients offer musculoskeletal and nervous system support, along with improved heart health!
- Your brain will also thank you for consuming shrimp, as the omegas found in this seafood is great for boosting brain and heart health!
- Shrimp contains astaxanthin, a nutrient that helps protect the retina against oxidative damage. Especially damage from too much sun!
This light and delicious take on a Caesar salad is a healthy spin to enjoy for lunch or a BBQ!
Not only will you feel amazing, but you’ll also enjoy a boost of nutrients!
Hungry for more summer-fresh meals to enjoy? Try this Good Morning Sunshine Cereal Recipe for a twist on your usual morning go-to!