Greens, Grapefruit, & Avocado Salad Recipe
Can you feel it? Spring is coming! It’s so close you can almost smell it, and with this salad, you will certainly taste it!
As winter’s bounty of citrus makes way for the tender greens of spring, this flavorful feast of a salad will help you bid farewell to winter (finally!) and welcome spring with open arms.
GREENS, GRAPEFRUIT, & AVOCADO SALAD RECIPE
- 4 c fresh greens
- 1 pink grapefruit
- 1/4 c pine nuts
- 1 avocado
- 1/4 – 1/2 c Sweet Lemon Dressing (see recipe below)
- Wash, dry and finely shred your selection of greens. If using kale be sure to cut out the center stem and discard it.
- Cut the grapefruit in half and remove sections.
- In a frying pan over medium to low heat, lightly toast pine nuts until golden brown.
- Cut avocado in half lengthwise, remove the pit and cut the flesh into chunks and scoop out of the skin.
- Prepare Sweet Lemon Dressing.
- Toss all ingredients together in a large bowl with ¼ – ½ c of the Sweet Lemon Dressing.
SWEET LEMON DRESSING
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- 1/4 c extra virgin olive oil
- 1 T raw honey
- 1/4 t dried thyme
- sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- In a blender, add lemon zest and juice, olive oil, honey, thyme, and salt and pepper and blend until smooth and creamy.
STAR-STUDDED CAST OF INGREDIENTS
Have fun with this salad and choose your favorite salad greens! My personal favorites to toss in this salad include kale, spinach, and fresh dandelion greens.
During the spring, I let these grow in my garden and harvest them almost daily for salads and smoothies. (Just make sure you don’t spray them with weed killer because that makes them toxic to eat.)
If gardening isn’t your thing, buying organic greens at the store can be just as good!
Here are some benefits of kale, spinach, and dandelion greens!
This powerful green is loaded with antioxidant vitamins K, A, and C. What do those vitamins do, you ask?
- Vitamin K helps protect you against various cancers, builds bones and keeps your arteries healthy.
- Vitamin A is great for your vision and skin.
- Vitamin C supports your immune system and helps your body form and store collagen for healthy nails, hair, and skin.
These small but mighty greens are one of the best food sources of vitamin K!
Spinach is also rich in flavonoids — compounds that do double duty as antioxidants and cancer-fighters. (Insert a muscle-flexing emoji!)
These guys are also high in magnesium, which is necessary for helping you create energy, maintain muscle and nerve function, assist with your heart rhythm and blood pressure. #nbd
These guys tend to be the underdog. They aren’t as popular as the greens mentioned above, however, they still have some serious superpowers!
Dandelion greens contain more beta-carotene than any other green vegetable, and they have more vitamin A than any food except cod liver oil and beef liver! (Boom Shaka Laka!)
They are also rich in calcium, potassium, vitamin K, and fiber. (Afterall, someone’s gotta do the heavy lifting around here!)
This citrus is rich in vitamin C, which helps to boost your immune function, reduce inflammation, and aids in metabolizing protein.
They are also high in Lycopene, which has been shown to have anti-tumor properties. The pectin found in grapefruit helps to lower your cholesterol.
These yummy nuts contain vitamins E and K, healthy fats, and are rich in magnesium — all of which will boost your energy and support your heart health. Not to mention, make your tastebuds say, “Yummy!”
Not that I need to explain this amazing and lovable ingredient, but to be fair to the others, I will!
Avocado is an excellent source of healthy fats, including oleic acid.
Oleic acid is rich in antioxidants that help your body remove toxins, gives your memory and immune system a boost, and is beneficial for your heart health.
TOSS IT UP
Enjoy this salad and all the delicious benefits it offers! This is a great way to get plenty of nutrients, while still delighting your tastebuds!
Feel free to add other healthy salad toppings and make this salad your own!
Hungry for more salads for the warmer days coming your way? Enjoy this Watermelon And Cantaloupe Sweet Summer Salad Recipe!