Grain-Free Carrot Cake Recipe
I just want to take a moment to applaud the culinary genius who first threw a handful of grated carrots into a cake batter! (Cue the clapping sound bit!)
Carrots add both sweetness and moistness along with the full spectrum of spices that give this cake its ideal texture, sweetness, and flavor!
Although most carrot cake recipes are loaded with raisins, nuts, sometimes even pineapple, and are topped with a thick slather of cream cheese frosting, this recipe is simple and humble (not to mention free of an overwhelming amount of sugar!).
Of course, you can always toss in your favorite additions and top it with your favorite icing, or not!
Enjoy this grain-free, healthier treat that actually offers added health benefits!
GRAIN-FREE CARROT SPICE CAKE RECIPE
(serves approx. 9)
- 1 c almond butter, unsweetened
- 1 1/2 c grated carrots
- 1/4 c raw honey
- 1 egg (or chia egg)
- 1 t vanilla
- 1/2 t sea salt
- 1 t baking soda
- 1/2 t ground ginger
- 1 t cinnamon
- 1/4 t nutmeg
- 1/4 t allspice
- 1/4 t ground cloves
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the almond butter, carrots, honey, egg, and vanilla. Cream together with a hand mixer.
- Add in the salt, baking soda, spices, and mix until combined.
- Spread mixture into an 8”x 8” baking dish.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes, until top and edges are nicely browned.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for at least 20 minutes.
- To make this recipe vegan, sub the egg for a chia egg. (1 chia egg = 1 T chia seeds (ground) and ¼ cup hot water. Mix together and allow to sit until mixture gels.) You can also sub the honey for Grade B maple syrup.
- Sweeten this recipe up by adding dried fruit such as raisins, dried pineapple, or dried cherries.
- Substitute the almond butter for any nut butter of your choice!
CARROT CAKE FOR THE WIN
Carrot cake is amazing for a million reasons, but the very best reason is that eating carrots in a cake almost feels like cheating!
Did you know that carrots are plump full of vitamin A, antioxidants, and other nutrients? (Go, carrots!)
In fact, eating antioxidant-rich foods, like carrots (in this grain free cake, of course), may give your heart a boost and lower the risk of cardiovascular disease.
Oh, and enjoying these powerhouse veggies has even been suggested to lower your risk of cancer! Plus, it’s a great way to load up on minerals, fiber, and vitamins!
So with this cake, it seems you can’t go wrong!
Hungry for more? Enjoy this Pear, Walnut, and Cranberry Salad Recipe for a sweet summer treat!
For more on Tammie, head here!