Simple & Delish Golden Milk Recipe (Dairy-Free)
One of my favorite parts about traveling is trying new foods and learning about the history of how they came to be!
I have been to India many times, and it truly is a magical place. The energy on the streets, the splashes of color everywhere you look, and the beautifully diverse cuisine is incredible.
Golden milk may seem like a somewhat recent trend in the United States, but did you know that it has been a staple in India for a long time?
The reason it’s been used in the Indian culture for centuries is because of the main ingredient, turmeric.
CREAMY AND DELICIOUS GOLDEN MILK RECIPE
- 2 c of coconut, nut, or seed milk of choice
- 1 T virgin coconut oil
- 1/2 t vanilla extract (or 1/2 scraped vanilla bean)
- 1/2 t cinnamon
- 1” knob fresh ginger cut into slices (sub ¼ t ground)
- 1” knob grated fresh turmeric (sub ½ t ground)
- 1/8 t cardamom
- 1/8 t coriander
- 1/8 t ground cloves
- Pinch of black pepper
- Add milk of choice to a pot.
- Slice ginger knob into a few pieces and place in pot.
- Grate knob of turmeric directly into the pot.
- Add in all other ingredients.
- Bring mixture to a gentle boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes. (You don’t have to wait this long but the longer it cooks, the more the flavors will intensify and come together.)
- Allow mixture to cool, then strain into a blender.
- Add collagen if you like, and blend on high for 1 minute.
- Pour into your favorite mug and enjoy!
- If hot drinks aren’t your thing, allow your golden milk to chill in the fridge for a bit, then pour over ice. This is one of my favorite ways to enjoy golden milk. Creamy, cold, and delicious!
- Optional Sweetener: 2 t maple syrup, honey, or a few drops of stevia to taste.
- Optional Collagen: Add 1–2 scoops of grass-fed collagen at step 6.
THE GOLDEN GOODNESS OF TURMERIC
Turmeric has a plethora of benefits and is believed to have anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and anti-cancer properties.
In Asia, turmeric is used not only used for cooking, but for treating many health conditions.
What I believe makes turmeric a true superstar is how easily accessible and affordable it is. One of the most common concerns I hear as a coach is that healthy food is hard to find, hard to make, and expensive!
Fresh turmeric may not be available at your neighborhood grocery store, but you can find turmeric powder in most stores’ dried spice sections.
You can also get turmeric powder in bulk on Amazon for a very reasonable price. Organic is always best if you can find it!
With this golden milk recipe, enjoying the benefits of turmeric every day is easy!
This recipe will make two cups, but I suggest doubling or even tripling this recipe so you have golden milk ready to go and can enjoy it whenever you like.
Having healthy foods and drinks ready to go is one of the easiest things you can do to ensure successful eating!
IT’S TURMERIC TIME
Ready to make some golden milk and enjoy all the benefits? We would love to hear how you like to drink golden milk! Tell us in the comments below!
Hungry for more? Check out this nutrient-rich and tasty Matcha Latte Recipe!