Curried Lentil Cashew Burger Recipe
I love a good meatless burger. I also love any curry dish – especially one with lentils!
To take the struggle out of having to pick just one of those things for dinner, I combined them. The result is this mouthwatering burger that’s super filled with loads of flavor!
CURRIED LENTIL CASHEW BURGER RECIPE
- 1/2 c red lentils, rinsed
- 1 c water
- 3/4 c raw cashews
- 6 tsp coconut oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 c mushrooms, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 3 Tbsp water
- 1/2 c old fashioned oats
- 6 large lettuce leaves
- Combine 1 cup of water, lentils, and a dash of salt in a pot. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover partially and simmer 15-20 minutes, or until lentils are very tender.
- Place in colander to drain any excess liquid, and set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, place cashews in a skillet and toast over medium-high heat for 4 minutes or until fragrant, and then set aside.
- In the same skillet, saute onion over medium heat with 1 teaspoon of coconut oil until transparent.
- Add mushrooms, garlic, curry powder, and 3 tablespoons water, and cook for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Place cashews and lentils in food processor and pulse until textured.
- Transfer to a bowl, add mushroom mixture, and stir in old fashioned oats until mixed well.
- Wet hands and form 6 burger patties from mixture.
- Cook in remaining coconut oil, using it as needed, over medium heat for 4 minutes on each side or until brown and heated throughout.
- Wrap in lettuce, add your favorite toppings, and enjoy!
- This is a great recipe to make extra of and freeze for later. Just form into individual patties, wrap, and freeze for up to thirty days.
- You can also adjust the curry powder to suit your desired level of spice.
Studies show lentils help prevent heart disease due to their hearty (pun intended) content of fiber, folate, and magnesium. They also replenish iron supplies, a nutrient that is so important for women during their monthly cycle.
Hungry for more? Check out these Marinated Mushrooms With Cashew Cheese!