A Step By Step Guide To Helping Your Client Feel Safe
Close your eyes and imagine…
You’re working with a client in a coffee shop. You’re excited because you feel your client is on the verge of truly opening up, truly addressing their fears, and finally ready to uncover all the pain and trauma that is holding them back from true transformation.
The only problem is that… you’re in a coffee shop.
Talk about a buzz kill (or maybe not buzz kill beings you’re access to caffeine is unlimited, but you get what we mean!)
While it’s easy to hold your coaching sessions at a public place, like a coffee shop, the chances of your client feeling 100 percent safe and willing to be vulnerable in this kind of environment is pretty much zero, zilch, nada!
If transformation is what your client is after and what are coaching them through, you will not experience it at a coffee shop!
But hey, we get it! It’s easy to find a mutual place, especially if you’re a new coach. Let us tell you right now, that you will see massive leaps and bounds in your client’s progress if you do this one thing: create a safe place for them to be during their sessions!
THE IMPORTANCE OF CREATING A SAFE ENVIRONMENT FOR YOUR CLIENTS
Think of it like this, would you want to meet your doctor or your therapist at a coffee shop or other public venue?
“Hey (insert your name)! This is the receptionist from your therapist’s office. You guys will be meeting at a coffee shop now, so be sure to bring a pillow or whatever else will make you feel relaxed and comfortable…”
Um, we don’t think so!
It’s extremely important that you put your client’s comfort as an absolute priority when you are deciding where to hold your sessions!
When your client feels safe and comfortable in the space during their session, they will open up and allow for more transformation and healing.
It makes sense, doesn’t it? When you don’t feel safe, what do you do?
You tense up, you close up, and you put up a wall to protect yourself.
By creating a place where your client can relax and open up, you’ll be giving them one of the tools they need for true transformation to happen.
A STEP BY STEP GUIDE TO HELPING YOUR CLIENT FEEL SAFE
- Begin in a quiet space where you and your client will not be interrupted. It’s also important to note that many coaches find that this is a benefit of working online because their clients can enjoy their session from the comfort of their home.
- Make sure the client is comfortable in the chosen space. You can do this by asking if they feel safe speaking freely and openly in that area.
- Advise the client to get into a comfortable position. Whether they sit in a chair or lay down, there’s no right or wrong position!
- Give them time to close their eyes and really feel the safety of this location within.
- Sometimes it’s even helpful to prompt them to visualize a place where they feel safe. Perhaps a place they’ve been before — a place that they fondly recall.
- Visualization is a powerful tool to use when you’re working to create a safe place for your client.
- Throughout your session, continuously reassure the client that they are in a safe space and that you are there to support them.
- It’s also helpful to remind them that no one is welcome into their space without their permission.
Use the prompts above as a powerful tool to create a space where your clients feel untouchable and in turn open up to true healing.
Helping your clients to find that safe space within each session will also help to build a trusting relationship with you, their coach!
The more you work with a specific client, the easier it will be for them to find and relax into this beautiful, safe place.
Have you used this technique with your clients? Tell us how it’s helped your coaching practice in the comments below!
Looking to create a safe place when you sleep? We like to call it a sleep sanctuary! Check out 4 Simple Tips To Create A Sleep Sanctuary here!